Davis College programs are authorized by the Ohio Board of Higher Education.
Davis College is recognized by the State Board of Career Colleges and Schools (State of Ohio Certificate of Registration No. 81-02-0731B).
Davis College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association (NCA).
Davis College, a private, two-year institution of higher education, serves our community by offering quality educational programs and services that meet the ever-changing demands of business. Our mission is to provide marketable skills that enhance the employability of our graduates.
In 1881, Matthew H. Davis left his chairmanship in the mathematics department and his position as director of the business department at Albert College, Belleville, Ontario, to accept the management of Toledo Business College. The small school of 35 students, which had been established in 1858, rapidly grew to 350 students. During the 23 years Davis directed the school, four other schools were absorbed, and the name was changed to Davis Business College. The curriculum was gradually changed from Latin, German, Greek, calculus, and epistolary writing to banking, mercantile trades, shorthand, and typing.
After Davis' death in 1904, his son, Thurber P. Davis, left the University of Michigan to take over the management of Davis Business College. Under the leadership of the younger Davis, electric typewriters were added, making the College one of the best equipped in the United States. Stenotype and data processing augmented the expanding curriculum. In 1948, when Thurber became ill, his daughter, Ruth L. Davis, became the third generation of the Davis family to lead the school.
In 1953, Davis Business College was among the first to be accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Business Schools. In 1964, the institution met commission requirements for a junior college of business. Office management, payroll accounting, and the Automation Institute were added to meet the growing needs of business and technology.
In 1983 John Lambert became President of Davis College. President Lambert expanded the curriculum to include allied health, aviation, computer, and graphic design programs, which doubled the College's enrollment. In 1986, Davis met the requirements for accreditation by the American Association of Medical Assistants. In 1991, Davis College was granted accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.
In 1993 Diane Brunner became the fifth president of Davis College. At the time of her appointment, she was the youngest female college president in Ohio. In 2008, the College was honored as one of Ohio's best employers by the Ohio Chamber of Commerce. Davis College also earned the Better Business
Bureau® Torch Award for marketplace ethics. As was true of all past Davis College leadership, President Brunner is dedicated to the promotion of higher educational standards and continuing the College's service to the community.
Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities by Title IX recipients of federal financial assistance. Davis College embraces the requirements of federal, state, and local laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in its educational programs and activities nor in the recruitment, selection, and subsequent treatment of students and/or employees.
Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations or equal opportunity may contact:
Diane Brunner, Title IX Coordinator
4747 Monroe St.
Toledo, Ohio 43623
The Office for Civil Rights, Cleveland Office
US Dept. of Education
600 Superior Ave East, Suite 750
Cleveland, Ohio 44114-2611
Telephone Device for the Deaf: 216-522-4944